i keep going back and forth, whether or not this should be out in the open like this. this is what i remember. it may be too much to read. but it somehow feels good to have it out there-it's too much for me to just hold in.
here is the post i posted earlier this morning and the comments that came with it. i took it off, but i am putting it back on--unedited.
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 23, 2009
i somehow went to bed last night with some peace, but i woke up this morning with my mind going a million miles a minute. i kept replaying that night, the sights and the horrors. don't feel like you have to keep reading. if you do keep reading, you don't have to comment. i just really feel like i need to get some of it off my chest.
i always try to keep a busy days going when adam is gone and since he went to work that morning, saturday was no different. me and jake planned to switch rooms around since adam had just finished jake's new bed. we were moving jake out of the nursery to his big boy room so that we could move mia to the crib since she was still sleeping in our room in her bassinet. moving stuff was taking all morning (with the help of a 2 yr old :)) i got a phone call about a friend of mine that had lost her dear nephew the day before. i knew i had a lot to get done before i was to go out later that afternoon to movie and dinner but i just felt like i needed to go see alycia. we dropped everything and went. we rushed back so we could feed mia. then it was lunch and naptime. after naps, it was time for gabby to come babysit so i could go out. i went and got mia up from her nap a little early because i knew gabby and her mom and sister wanted to meet her. this was the last time i held my baby alive. me, carrie, and lee (adam's sister and mom) left in a rush so we could get to our movie on time. i kept my phone in a tight grip all through the movie. at dinner, i kept trying to call just to check in. i was getting the worried mom feelings-it was my first time leaving mia since she was born. all throughout dinner i just kept wanting to be home-i was sick about it. once we finally got home, all was well. calm and well. jake was happily playing with gabby(he just adores gabby-we all do) and i didn't hear any baby cries. i wanted to check mia just then, but all was well-she wasn't crying or anything. but i didn't look. lee stayed with jake while i took gabby home. when i returned again, i wanted to check mia but told myself not to wake her. jake and i stayed downstairs for a little bit and adam called to say hi. i was happy to tell him that our day had been busy and that it actually had gone by quick( the quicker the better-it means he will be home earlier). in the back of my mind i remember thinking why it somehow felt like a bad day, even when it had gone so quick. i kept reviewing it. all went well-why did it feel bad? huh. as went up the stairs, i noticed my door was open. when i got closer i heard the fans weren't on( i usaully have one on the keep warm and one to drown out noise so mia can sleep). so i quietly shut the door so i wouldn't wake mia. while shutting the door, i wanted to check her again. and again. i told myself not to worry. i put jake to bed. we said our prayers and went throught our regular motions. "love you jakie, night-night", "lodu mommy. check baby. check baby" (this is what is said everytime i put him down for a nap or to bed) nothing different that night. except that i didn't check baby. not even after that. i didn't check on her. i did dishes. i pumped. i turned on the tv. i was on freaking facebook. but i didn't check my baby. why didn't i check her? why did i not have that battle in my head that i always have? the one that i always give into and end up checking on her? why didn't i battle? where was the battle? finally at about 9:45 i went upstairs to get mia to cuddle a little bit before i fed her at 10. i remember walking in our room with a smile on my face thinking how excited i was to she her turn her head and smile at me in her bassinet like she always did when i went to get her. but as i did turn my head to see her-i didn't see her. i set my things down to get closer and i just saw her face down in her bed. my heart sunk. things were really blurry and happened really fast after that. i just remember picking up her little lifeless body. mia you are just kidding, i thought. this isn't happening. but it was and i had to help her. she wasn't breathing. i put her on my bed-she was really yellow and kind of greyish-but still warm. i knew i had to act fast. i grabbed my phone and frantically call 911. as the lady asked my adress i remembered i had just locked the doors so i needed to go downstairs so they could get in to help my baby. i carefully picked up mia's precious, limp body and went downstairs while still on the phone with 911. i couldn't hear the lady anymore. i remember screaming to her don;t leave me-don;t leave me, you can;t leave me-i need to help my baby! was seems like forever she came back on and started to walk me through cpr. she had me lay her flat and kneel next to her. i had no idea if i could do this. but i needed to save her. just then the door pounded and i let the two officers in. they started working on her. they didn't look very comfortable with what they were doing, more people kept piling in. there had to be at least ten people kneeled around my mia, trying to help her. all i remember then is being on the floor pleading for help. please help my baby. they started to pick her up to take her to the ambulance. i was running to go with them. but i can't leave jake.i called adam's parents-"get down here-mia's not breathing" i heard adam's mom gasp and hang up. i still couldn't leave him while i waited for them to come-i saw bruce and nancy and yelled them in so i could run after the ambulance. they wouldn;t let me in. the officer said they needed space. he put me in his car. i don't if i ever stopped screaming and pleading-"please help my baby." "is my baby okay??" and most of all-"i didn't check my baby" i was trying to get a hold of adam. we were following the ambulance. they stopped for a minute. i could see them franctically working on mia. i thought that if they stopped, maybe that means she is alive? we kept going. i didn't know if she was okay. i couldn't tell adam that she was okay. i didnt know. all of the hospital is a blur. they tried so hard for awhile, i know that. i remember arlan giving mia a blessing. i think that was the first time i stopped screaming. i knew then that she wasn't coming back. the spirit was strong. her spirit was strong. but i still didn't want to believe it. the dr kept trying to tell me there was no response-i kept pleading. they kept going for a few more minutes. and then they just started quietly taking all of the equipment off of her. no. no. this is not happening, i thought-or maybe screamed i don;t know. but it did. my mia went to her Father. she is with her Father in Heaven. she served her purposes here and is back now. i know that because she is so perfect, she only needed the short time to fulfill what it takes most of us decades to even try to complete.
looking back on the few months, i can pick out moments that the spirit was with me. it had to of been-it was preparing me-or trying to at least.
the last couple of weeks of the pregnancy is when it started. i just kept getting feelings about this baby, i would tell adam we need to prepare for this baby-i think she is special. i thought that that feeling meant that she would be born with a birth defect of some sort, but when she came out perfect i didn't think about it anymore. until now. her only defect was that she was perfect. too good for this world.
my baby mia was the sweetest thing to grace this earth. oh-she melted my heart. she started smiling at four weeks. i didn't think that was possible. i kept asking her why she was smiling so much, what she was doing to me-you are just taking care of me aren't you-i would tell her as i would kiss her smiles. she took such good care of me. always smiling. always. the poor girl had a hard time eating-she always had to stop and smile at me. she was comforting me. as she is now. i could not be writing any of this if it weren't for her comfort. i can't tell you how many times a day i would be holding her and just squeeze her telling myself to just soak her up. and i did. i was a mia hog. i couldn;t put her down. i couldn't stop kissing her. i couldn't stop loving her. i feel like the spirit helped me to make sure i did these things often. i did these things with jake, too-but it was different with mia- i remember thinking "take her in" so many times a day. i love my mia may more than i can begin to describe. i am so grateful she was here. she took such good care of me. i will never ever forget the feeling of my beautiful mia cuddling in my arms. i am excited to be able to do that again. and because of the Atonement i know i can. i would not trade those precious 73 days for anyting. anything. not even this horrible hurt. i know where she is. she is with her Heavenly Father and her brother, Jesus. she has visited her grandpa. she will teach him. she has taught us so much and will continue to do so. she has strengthened my testimony. and will continue to do so. i know that she is still with us and that she will continue to watch over her family. we have our good moments and horrible moments. but with the help of our Heavenly Father-and only with his help will we get through the rest of this life until we can be with her again. as i visited with alycia, i remember admiring her strength. i remember admiring the strength she said her sister and husband had. in that moment i thought-i hope i have that much strength when it happens to me-i didn't think of it in that moment, but i do now-why wasn't it if? why was it when? the spirit was with me then, too. giving me great examples. thank you. and thank you to all of our family and friends. there has been so much support. we love it. and are so grateful for it. thank you.
i have a really hard time thinking about that night and what i feel i should have done different. i know the spirit has been here so strongly. i know that mia's sweet spirit has been here with me. i need them.
POSTED BY THE BRANDT FAMILY AT 9:06 AM 5 COMMENTS
Andrea said...
Oh Brooke and Adam! My heart has not stopped hurting for you from the moment I found out. I am so glad you let me come and visit yesterday! Mia's spirit was so strong in your home. And eventhough you felt extremely helpless and not sure how you will go on, I also sensed your peace of knowing there is a greater purpose we can't neccessarily see yet, and this post confirms it. It took me a while to figure out the purpose behind my little Addison having to leave. I truly am amazed that in the darkest of moments, you are already starting to see the greater purpose of this tragedy! I know you will come out of this with huge holes in your heart (and they will never heal, I'm sorry to tell you) but you will also be such stronger, more compassionate people, spouses, and parents. You already are! I'm so glad you decided to share your feelings about that night, and all the details. As hard as they are to think about,you will be grateful for every little detail later on. I never wrote down my feelings so closely after Addison's death. I feel sad that my memory is starting to forget some things I thought I'd never forget. Continue to write these feelings down, whether you make them private or public. Write down every detail of Mia that you can think of. And don't be afraid to take pictures over the next few days events either. I felt a little weird about taking pictures of her in her casket, but I did end up with one, and I cherish it so much. And lastly, please never hesitate to call me! I will come at a moment's notice. Don't be afraid to lean on people right now! I am here for you guys. I love you both so much, and I am so sorry you are going through such a nightmare right now!
November 23, 2009 2:22 PM
Erik and Michelle said...
I dont know you, and you dont know me, but I know Adam and Mel Tripp. I saw your story and I am so sorry for your loss. She is beautiful. I dont know how you are feeling or what you are going through but please let me know if you need anything. I found this poem, I hope you like it.
Jesus is she with you?
I wonder every day,
I sit and wonder why she's gone
and why she could not stay
Every Part of me is empry
I feel I can't go on
but then I look to heaven
and hear this beautiful song
Mommy I am with Him
He holds me in his arms
When ever I am with him
he keeps me safe and warm
He Says you shouldnt worry
I am sae and loved right here
with all the other baby angels
that passed within the years
we have a special Place up here
He thought that you should know
Where the Blessed mother takes
your place for now until you show
when I hear this precious little voice
from the heaven above
I know that all the angels
Are showering her with love
For everyone that wants to hear
their babies voice so innocent and sweet
just close your eyes and begin to pray
and embrace them in your sleep
-angela Gibson-
I know you will be able to hold your little girl again. Again I am very sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family
Michelle and Erik Brown
November 23, 2009 2:25 PM
chelsea and Jeremy said...
I am so sorry for your loss. MY prayers are with you and your family.
Chelsea (white) hellstrom
November 23, 2009 3:02 PM
Meredith and Jason said...
Brooke,
I know this is random- but I read about your cute little Mia on the Tripps blog. I came over to your blog and read and I just wanted to say thank you for sharing that. What an example your testimony is! I am so sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers.
Meredith (Lloyd) McIlrath
November 23, 2009 3:39 PM
melissa-brad said...
oh brooke, my heart is aching for you right now. even though we haven't seen each other since high school, i still feel connected through the blog.
brooke, what a year this has been. i can't imagine.
the strength you have to go through this. the spirit you have is undoubting. your testimony will forever be remembered by me, and your example rings through to everone who not only will read this, but who knows you.
i can't tell you how sorry i am for your loss. my heart feels so heavy. please know my sincere thoughts of love are with your family right now.
me and brad will absolutely keep you in our prayers.
November 23, 2009 4:02 PM
22 comments:
Brooke and Adam,
Thank you for sharing something so close to your heart. These past few months have been a special time for us getting to know you. We have often talked about what wonderful parents you both are. There is no need to second guess your decisions. She is perfect and you were prepared to have her in your life, and for eternity. There will always be questions and what if's, but your future is what matters now. It is truly amazing what the Lord helps us handle when we have to. I think we are stronger than we realize... especially with His help. We are blessed to know you and learn from your testimony. We are always here for you.
Love, Trav and Bree
Brooke,
I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how hard this is for you. Thank you for sharing your feelings. She is so beautiful.
D.J. wants to do a photo montage of Mia as a gift if you want. Just let us know.
Sorry.
I read about your story on Adam and Mel Tripp's blog. I don't know if you remember me, we went to high school together.
I am so sorry for your loss. She is a beautiful girl. Thank you for sharing something so personal and so testimony strengthening. You are a very strong woman and have a very strong testimony. I have never experienced anything like this, but I would encourage you to hold fast to your faith and testimony. That will bring you comfort and will reassure you of the Lord's love for you.
She is a beautiful girl. You are so lucky and blessed to have her in your family.
I feel like commenting on your blog is not the best way for me to express my sorrow for what has happened to you, but I need you to know that you are in my prayers. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. I wish I could take your pain away. I wish I could somehow make this easier for you. My heart is just aching for you. Thank you for sharing your story, and thank you for your amazing example of strength.
There are so many more things I could say right now, but all I want you to know is that I love you... and you are in my thoughts, and I will keep praying for you and your family.
Your testimony is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. My heart has been aching all day since I read your story. I'm so sorry again.
-Kara Simmons and Greg Simmons-
Brooke
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't believe how strong you have been this past year. I have always admired your strength and the wonderful person that you are. Mia is so lucky to have you for a mom. My prayers are with you and your family. I'm here for you if you need anything.
Amy
Brooke,
You are so strong, thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry for your loss. Your Mia is so Beautiful. My prayers are with you and your beautiful family.
Angie Reed Haaga
I have read these two blog posts over and over again. I hope you know how much your testimony has touched Buddy and I. Your story opened our eyes to what is really important in life. You are going to be a giant inspiration to so many people. Thank you for sharing your story Brookie. I don't think you should reconsider not sharing it because it will touch so many people throughout your whole life. Bud and I just keep praying an praying for you. I love to imagine beautiful Mia in the most perfect arms looking down on you. She blessed our lives and strengthened our testimonies just as you have. There isn't a greater gift than that. That little eskimo baby has the most wonderful parents which is why Heavenly Father sent her to you. We will continue to pray for you to have comfort and peace. We can't get you off our minds and there is no doubt we won't ever forget about Mia and what she has taught us. Love you Brooke and Adam.
You don't even know me. I am Jennie's sister in law and she told me about your sweet baby girl on Sunday. I haven't stopped thinking about you guys. You have touched my heart. Made me want to be a better mother and cherish our time on earth. Thanks for sharing your testimony and please know we will be praying for your comfort too. Paul and Meagan Peterson
Oh Brooke, I was in bed and looking at blog updates on my phone and I read yours and my heart just plummeted. I woke my husband and we said a prayer for you. I have always admired you and thought you are just the perfect mom and wife. I know it probably doesn't feel like it, but I do believe that our Heavenly Father doesn't give us anything we can't handle. You are so strong and such an inspiration to so many. Mia is just the perfect angel, and now she is in heaven with another little perfect angel, Jaren. Know that we love you and are constantly thinking of you and praying for you. You have such an absolutely amazing eternal family.
Brooke-
thank you for sharing this. You are such an amazing girl and you have such a wonderful family. I know we haven't talked in quite awhile but you have always been such an example to me. Jake and Mia are so lucky to have you and Adam as parents. There are no words to describe how truly sorry I am for what your family is experiencing. You have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard the news. I am so thankful that we have the knowledge that families are forever and that you will be with your little Mia again someday.
oh Brooke, I just can't stop sobbing for you. I am so so so sorry for what you are having to go through right now. Your testimony is so beautiful and has strengthened mine. Dallin and I love you guys so much and want to be here for you anyway we can. I have and will continue to pray for you.
Brooke,
I am so sorry for your loss. I am just so upset that you had to go through this. You and your cute family will forever be in my thoughts and prayers. What a special little girl. You are very lucky to be her mommy.
-Lili
Brooke and Adam-
We too feel like a blog is not the right way to let you know how sorry we are for your loss.. but want you to know that you have been in our prayers.. constantly since we found out. What a beautiful testimony you have Brooke. You are so strong and so faithful. I too read your sweet blog entry twice.. not quite believing it. I was so touched by your words and believe that sweet little Mia is watching over your little family. I know we haven't talked in some time, but Spencer and I are truly truly sorry. It's times like this that we must look to our Heavenly Father to help us through. Brooke you are incredible and you and your family will continue to be in our hearts and prayers. Mia is a beautiful sweet little girl. Thanks for sharing.
-Spencer and Jodie Staples
All I want to do is hug you right now. I can't explain to you how how my heart aches for you and Adam. Don't hesitate with telling your story Brooke let it out. You are incredible, you always have
been. Ever since I have know you Brooke your strength and wisdom have always amazed and inspired me. God is truely making you a mountain Brooke; let him hold you up and make you stronger through every storm.
Little Mia I will miss you. You stole my heart right away with those happy eyes. Thanks for letting me hold you and you didn't even cry thank God since you are honestly the first baby I have held by choice in years. (Brooke will get that.) I love you and thank you.
Brooke,
I am so sorry for your loss. Mia is beautiful. You are right she was perfect, your story about her smiles brings tears to my eyes. You are a wonderful mother. I know I havent seen you since high school and even then we never really knew each other. I most remember your smile and the day you got me with water outside of my work our senior year. I dont know what to tell you, I just want you to know that I am thinking of you and I hope you are able to find the strength to go on. I am so deeply sorry, my heart aches for you.
Jenny
Brandt Family,
We love you so much and words cant say how sorry we are. I wish i could take your pain away we are here for you. Our thoughts and Prayers always
Brooke you don't know me but I am friends with the Tripps and that is where I first heard about your sweet little girl. I want you to say I scrolled through Mel's blog to look at the picture first and before I even read about what happened I said to my husband that your little girl is one of the most beautiful little girls I have ever seen. Then I read your story. I am so sorry!! Your testimony is amazing and even though I don't know you, you have strengthened mine. I recently had a stillborn baby and it is so hard to lose a baby but it is such a comfort to know they are with our Heavenly father. Cling to your little boy he will help you through this. Thank you for posting and know that you and your sweet family are in our prayers.
Mike and Felisha Rindlisbacher
Brooke & Family-
I just heard about what happened today from Kylene (Tait) May and she mentioned you had wrote about it on your blog. I first of all want to thank you for sharing this difficult experience and showing such an example of how strong your testimony is! You are such a great example!! I am truely so sorry for your loss, words can not even explain how hard this must be for all of you! I would just like you to know that you have obviously touched so many people, including me and that your family is in my prayers!
Wow Brooke, I admire your strength and your testimony. You are so strong and I know you will be with Mia again. I am very sorry for you loss and our prayers are with you and your family. Stay strong you are an amazing person and Mia was beautiful. Lucky her to be so perfect and what amazing parents she had and touched so dearly. You have strengthened me and I thank you for sharing this part of you life with us. Thank you for being such a strong women. Our hearts and prayers are with you
Nikki (Densley) Passey
Dear Brooke and Adam,
I heard about your sweet little Mia from a friend of your aunt.
May I first express my deep condolences and empathy at the passing of your sweet baby girl. My youngest daughter passed away at the age of 11 in 1992.
I wanted to let you know of a support group for parents who have experienced the death of a child. The name of the group is The Compassionate Friends (TCF). There is a chapter in Brigham City that meets the 2nd Thurs of each month, except this month the meeting is on Sunday evening to go along with the Worldwide Candlelighting ceremony in memory of children who have died.
The Brigham City chapter leader's name is Karen. Her phone # is 435-723-8727. Karen experienced the death of her baby 25 years ago this past November, from SIDS.
The candlelighting will be held at Myers Mortuary at 205 S 1st E, it is behind the St George Tabernacle. The candlelighting starts at 7pm, but the meeting that night begins at 6pm.
Please give Karen a call if you would like. I have called to let her know you may be calling her. I recommend that you take a friend(s) and/or family member(s) with you to your first meeting, just because it's hard to walk in that 1st time by yourself/selves. I took my sister with me to my first meeting.
The national website of TCF is thecompassionatefriends.org if you are interested in taking a look it has alot of information.
My neighbor told me about TCF and I will be forever grateful for that. I have made lifelong friends there and don't know how I would have made it through those first few years without their support.
Again I am so sorry for your loss. You are also welcome to contact me if you would like. My email address is treeseeme@comcast.net. My blog address is treeseestales.blogspot.com.
God bless you all!
Sincerely,
Teresa Perry
Thank you for writing this. I lost my son to SIDS 3.5 months ago. A friend sent me your blog, and reading this post is the first time I have felt like someone truly understands what I went through, am still going through. Thank you for sharing your story and bringing another grieving mother comfort.
Post a Comment